You are here

Admissions FAQ

General Information

How do I become a PHSC student?
Please visit the How to Apply page for more information.
Do I have to be a high school graduate or have completed my GED to attend PHSC?
Yes, with the exception of the GED preparation courses and some technical certificate programs:

  • Health Unit Coordinator
  • Medical Administrative Specialist
  • Nursing Assistant
  • Phlebotomy
  • Welding
How do I prove that I am a high school graduate?
You must submit the final official transcript from the high school.
Will PHSC accept a copy of my diploma and/or report card grades?
No. Only an official transcript is acceptable, and it must come electronically or in a sealed envelope from the high school from which you graduated. Transcripts can also be submitted in person in the original sealed envelope.
How do I change my personal information once I am admitted?
It is very important to keep your personal information current. If you change your name come in to the Admissions and Student Records office at the West Campus (New Port Richey) or Student Development office at the other campuses. Name change requests require that a photo ID be presented. If you are changing your address, email or phone number, you can update your information online through WISE.

Application Information

Where do I begin?
First, complete an application for admission to PHSC. You may apply online via WISE.
What information is needed to complete the application?
The application asks for personal information, educational background, and proof of residency (if you are a Florida resident).
What documents do I need to apply?
You need:

  • Proof of high school graduation, or GED equivalency if you are applying to a college credit program.
  • Proof of Florida residency (if claiming Florida residence).
  • Transcripts from any other institution of higher learning that you have attended before coming to PHSC if you are applying to a college credit program.
What if my application is incomplete?
Incomplete Web admission applications are not processed. They are deleted from the system.
When is my application due?
PHSC has no application deadlines; however, students requesting financial aid and/or scholarships are encouraged to apply early and to pay close attention to scholarship deadlines. Limited access programs may adhere to an application deadline date.
Where do I submit my completed application for review?
Applications should be submitted online via WISE.
How much does it cost to apply?
Please see our fees and expenses page for the current, non-refundable application fee.
How and where can I pay the application fee?
The application fee must be paid the same day the application is submitted. Payment may be made by major credit card (Discover, Visa, MasterCard, or American Express) online via WISE or at any PHSC College Store. Cash, personal check or money order (payable to PHSC) payments may be made at any college store.
What if I forget my application fee?
Applications received without the application fee will be deleted from the system and you will need to reapply and pay the application fee the same day the application is submitted.
What if I attended PHSC before?
You will need to complete an application for readmission if you attended more than one year ago. You can obtain the application for readmission form at any PHSC location or online. There is no fee for the application for readmission.


What are the requirements to be considered a Florida resident?
A Florida “resident for tuition purposes” is a person who has, or is a dependent person whose parent or legal guardian has, established and maintained primary residence in Florida for at least 12 consecutive months before the first day of the semester for which the student wants to register.
Why is it important that I want to prove my Florida residency?
Florida charges a lower tuition for its residents; thus, it saves you money.
How do I prove Florida residency?
You must provide two of the following three documents issued one year prior to the first day of the semester:

  • Florida driver’s license or State of Florida ID card
  • Florida vehicle registration
  • Florida voter registration card

If you cannot produce two of these three documents, please review the Documentary Evidence for Residency for Tuition Purposes document.

How do I know if I am considered independent or dependent for residency purposes?
Please view the Independent/Dependent Status for Residency for Tuition Purposes document for more information.
What do I do with these documents?
Fill in the appropriate information in the correct place on your application, including voter registration, driver’s license, and/or vehicle registration numbers and original issue date(s).
What date is critical?
The original date of issue is needed for your voter registration card, Florida driver’s license, and/or Florida vehicle registration, not the date it was renewed.
May I use my parent’s information to prove Florida residency?
Yes, if you are dependent of your parents or legal guardian.
May I use my spouse’s information to prove Florida residency?
Yes. Please contact the records office for details.
Can I claim Florida residency as an independent student if I am under 24 years old?
Yes, but you must submit one of the following documents:

  • Proof of marriage (marriage certificate)
  • Proof of being a veteran of U.S. Armed Services (military records: DD214, Leave and Earnings Statement, military ID, etc.)
  • Proof of being a ward/dependent of the court (Department of Children and Families documentation)
  • Copy of tax return showing that you claimed yourself as an exemption with yearly earning of at least $6600
  • Florida Prepaid ID card
If I am a dependent of parents who live out-of-state, may I claim Florida residency?
No. A student who depends on out-of-state parents for support is presumed to be a legal resident of the same state as his or her parents.
If I pay out-of-state tuition my first semester, will I always pay that rate?
Not necessarily. If you can show appropriate proof of residency for 12 consecutive months at some time during your enrollment at PHSC, you must complete and submit a new residency form to become eligible for in-state tuition rates.
Will I need documents to prove my change in residency from out-of-state to Florida?
Yes. You will need to bring documents to verify your change of status.
What documents will verify a change of status for reclassification in Florida residency?
You need to provide three documents. Please view the Documentary Evidence for Residency for Tuition Purposes document for a listing of approved documents.
Where do I obtain a residency classification form?
This form is available at the Admissions and Student Records office at the West Campus (New Port Richey), the Student Development office at the other campuses or online.

Returning Students

If I skipped registering for courses for one or more semesters, what do I need to do?
If you have been out of school for one full year or more, you will need to complete an application for readmission. If you have been gone for less than one year, you can register as usual, provided you are in good academic standing.
What if I have previously withdrawn from PHSC?
A student who withdraws from PHSC in good standing is permitted to reenter the institution at the beginning of any subsequent semester.
May I ever return to PHSC if I have been academically dismissed?
Yes; however, some students may be required to submit a letter of appeal. Contact the student development office for assistance with this process.

PHSC Receiving Transcripts

What is an official transcript?
An official transcript is one that is received by PHSC electronically or in a sealed envelope that has the seal of the sending institution. If the envelope has been opened, it is not official.
How do I submit a transcript?
Have high school/GED and every college or technical school you have attended send an official transcript to the West Campus (New Port Richey) Admissions and Student Records office either by mail or electronically. Transcripts can also be submitted in person in the original sealed envelope.
Do I need a high school transcript for a technical program?
A high school transcript or proof of GED is required for some technical programs. You may contact the Admissions and Student Records office at the West Campus (New Port Richey), or the student development office at the other campuses for more information.
Do I need a transcript to register for a continuing education class?
No, none is required.
How do I request an official high school, college or technical transcript from an institution other than PHSC?
If you attended a Florida public institution, you may complete and submit an electronic transcript request form, available at the Admissions and Student Records office on any campus. If you attended an institution in another state or a non-public Florida institution, please contact that institution directly to request records.
If I earn a GED, how do I request an official transcript?
If you earned your GED in Florida, you may contact the Florida Department of Education by calling 1-850-245-0449. If you earned your GED in another state, please contact that institution directly to request your records.
May I register if my official transcript has not arrived?
PHSC allows one semester for the arrival of transcripts. After that, missing transcripts will result in the student being restricted from registering.
Must my transcripts be on file with PHSC before financial aid can be awarded?
Yes, all high school or GED transcripts and any college transcripts must be on file with PHSC before financial aid is awarded.

PHSC Sending Transcripts

What if I need an official transcript of my courses at PHSC?
Students may order electronic or hard copy transcripts online using their WISE account. Hard copy transcripts will be printed and mailed within 24-72 business hours and electronic transcripts will be transmitted within the same timeframe. Students are responsible for ensuring the address they enter online is accurate. An email will be sent to the student’s QuistaMail address confirming that the order was received and processed.
Is there a fee for an official transcript from PHSC?
Currently, there is no fee.
Is there a limit on the number of transcripts I can request?
No, but you must make a separate request for transcripts being sent to different locations.

Transfer Students

If I am a transfer student seeking a degree, what do I do?
Please visit the How To Apply page for more information.
If I am a transfer student, must I take entrance (placement) tests?
If you are transferring to PHSC from another college, you must have scores that are less than two years old on the ACT, SAT, PERT, or CPT. Some Florida high school and active military students may be exempt from testing.
The alternative would be to show successful completion (grade of “C” or better) in college-level English and mathematics, or successful completion of all required college preparatory courses.
If I am a transfer student who has NOT successfully completed a college-level English or mathematics course, what will I need?
You will need placement scores that are less than two years old from the ACT, SAT, PERT or CPT to register for classes in these areas.

Transient Students

What is a transient student?
A transient student is someone seeking a degree from another institution that needs to attend PHSC for a certain course(s) during a certain time period.
Do I need a transient form from my home college?
Yes, you must submit the the original transient form from your current college or university to register at PHSC. Alternately, Florida public institutions have the form available at the Florida Virtual Campus website.
When can a transient student register?
Transient students may register during general or late registration (refer to the current term schedule).
Is testing required for transient students taking classes at PHSC?
No placement test is required, but transient students must submit the appropriate transient student registration form from their home college as well as an application to PHSC. Transient students attending private schools or schools outside of Florida mush also have an updated Application for Admission on file.