Curriculum and Requirements
The purpose of this program is to prepare students for employment as entry-level programmers, programmer specialists, computer programmers, senior programmers, chief business programmers, programmer analysts and information systems programmers or to provide supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed in these occupations. Students who wish to transfer credits from this program to another institution must accept responsibility for securing approval in advance from that institution.
PHSC offers two certificates that can be earned as students work toward the Computer Programming AS degree. Students may earn a Computer Programming Specialist—Certificate after earning 18 credit hours and a Computer Programmer certificate after 33 hours-of-study. As the certificate hours of study requirements are completed, students need to contact the Admissions and Student Records Office to apply for certificate(s).
The AS degree requires the completion of 63 credit hours.
The curriculum consists of 18 program core hours, 27 program-specific hours and 18 General Education hours.
Program Code AS-CPA
The following program core of 18 hours applies to all IT AS degree programs:
- CET 1179 - Microcomputer Repair Essentials 3 cr.
- CGS 1000 - Computer Concepts 3 cr.
- CGS 2304 - Managing Information Technology 3 cr.
- CNT 1000 - Introduction to Networking 3 cr.
- CTS 1110 - Microcomputer Software Essentials 3 cr.
- COP 1000 - Introduction to Software Development 3 cr.
The following 27 hours apply specifically to the Computer Programming and Analysis AS degree:
- CGS 1820 - Web Page Design 3 cr.
- CGS 2108 - Advanced Microcomputer Applications 3 cr.
- CNT 1401 - Principles of Information, Security and Assurance 3 cr.
- COP 1332 - Visual Basic .NET Programming 3 cr.
- COP 1839 - Web Programming with Visual Basic .NET 3 cr.
- COP 2071 - Access Programming and SQL 3 cr.
- COP 2654 - Mobile Application Development 3 cr.
- CIS 2930 - Information Technology Internship 3 cr.
- OST 2335 - Business Communications 3 cr.
The following 18 hours meet the General Education Requirements:
- CGS 1100 - Microcomputer Applications 3 cr.
- ENC 1101 - English Composition I 3 cr.
- Any Elective Area II course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3cr.
- Any Area III Mathematics course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3cr. (Note: Students wishing to transfer to a bachelor program should take MAC 1105.)
- Any Area III Natural Science course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3cr.
- Any Elective Area IV course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3cr.