Curriculum and Requirements
This program offers a sequence of courses that provide coherent and rigorous content aligned with challenging academic standards and relevant technical knowledge and skills needed to prepare for further education and careers in e-business such as computer specialists, database technicians, security specialists, Web content specialists, developers; technical, systems and network analysts; and Web security specialists and internet technical support specialists. The program also teaches technical skill proficiency and includes competency-based applied learning that contributes to the academic knowledge, higher-order reasoning and problem-solving skills, work attitudes, general employability skills, technical skills, occupation-specific skills and knowledge of all aspects of information technology.
This program focuses on a balance of business and technology components and allows the student to gain additional skills in one of four areas of specialization: Business, Technology, Software and Security.
PHSC offers four certificates that can be earned as students work toward the E-Business Technology AS degree: E-Business Software—Certificate (after 21 hours of study), E-Business Technology—Certificate (after 21 hours of study), E-Business Ventures—Certificate (after 24 hours of study) and E-Business Technical—Certificate (after 24 hours of study). As the certificate hours of study requirements are completed, students need to contact the Admissions and Student Records office to apply for certificate(s).
Program Code: AS-EB
The following program core of 18 hours applies to all IT AS degree programs:
- CET 1179 - Microcomputer Repair Essentials 3 cr.
- CGS 1000 - Computer Concepts 3 cr.
- CGS 2304 - Managing Information Technology 3 cr.
- CNT 1000 - Introduction to Networking 3 cr.
- CTS 1110 - Microcomputer Software Essentials 3 cr.
- COP 1000 - Introduction to Software Development 3 cr.
The following 27 hours apply specifically to the E-Business Technology AS degree:
- BUL 2561 - Cyberlaw 3 cr.
- CGS 1820 - Web Page Design 3 cr.
- CGS 2108 - Advanced Microcomputer Applications 3 cr.
- CGS 2821 - Graphics and Multimedia in a Web Environment 3 cr.
- CGS 2827 - Advanced Web Page Design 3 cr.
- COP 1332 - Visual Basic .NET Programming 3 cr.
- COP 2071 - Access Programming and SQL 3 cr.
- GEB 1136 - Introduction to E-Business 3 cr.
- CIS 2930 - Information Technology Internship 3 cr.
The following 18 hours meet the General Education Requirements:
- CGS 1100 - Microcomputer Applications 3 cr.
- ENC 1101 - English Composition I 3 cr.
- Any Elective Area II course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3cr.
- Any Area III Mathematics course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3cr. (Note: Students wishing to transfer to a bachelor program should take MAC 1105.)
- Any Area III Natural Science course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3cr.
- Any Elective Area IV course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3cr.