Curriculum and Requirements
The Fire Science Technology program is offered for individuals who are already in the fire service field and are seeking to advance. This program will provide the training and courses required for certification as Fire Officer I and II, and will prepare the graduate for a variety of technical and supervisory positions within the fire service field. The program is approved by the State of Florida, Division of the State Fire Marshal - Bureau of Fire Standards and Training Florida State Fire College, 11655 NW Gainesville Road, Ocala, FL 34482-1436, telephone 352-369-2800.
The purpose of this program is to prepare students for employment as fire inspectors and investigators, fire science technicians, fire officers, fire safety inspectors, fire assistants, safety inspectors, building inspectors, fire insurance investigators/inspectors or to provide supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed in these occupations.
This program does not prepare students for certification as fire fighters. A student must successfully complete the basic recruit program in fire fighting to become certified, pursuant to Chapter 633, Florida Statutes.
This program is conducted in coordination with the Florida State Fire College (FSFC). The program core courses may be taken at the FSFC campus and applied to the AS degree at PHSC by completing the Fire Science Course Transfer Request Form. Prospective students are advised to consult with the dean of workforce development prior to enrolling as this program has special requirements and enrollment procedures. For more information call 727-816-3264.
Program Code: AS-FST
General Education Requirements
- ENC 1101 - English Composition I 3 cr.
- CGS 1100 - Microcomputer Applications 3 cr.
- MAC 1105 - College Algebra 3 cr.
- Any Area III Natural Sciences course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3 cr.
- Any Area IV Social and Behavioral Sciences course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3 cr.
- Any Area V Humanities course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3 cr.
Program Core Courses
- FFP 1505 - Fire Prevention Practices 3 cr.
- FFP 1540 - Private Fire Protection Systems 3 cr.
- FFP 2810 - Firefighting Tactics and Strategy I 3 cr.
- FFP 2720 - Company Officer Leadership 3 cr.
- FFP 2740 - Fire Service Course Delivery 3 cr.
- FFP 2780 - Fire Department Administration 3 cr.
- FFP 2120 - Building Construction 3 cr.
- FFP 2811 - Firefighting Tactics II 3 cr.
- FFP 2770 - Ethical and Legal Issues 3 cr.
- FFP 2610 - Fire Investigation: Cause and Origin 3 cr.
- FFP 2111 - Fire Chemistry 3 cr.
- Three FFP course prefix program electives 9 cr.
A minimum of 25% of the courses required for the degree must be taken at PHSC.