Curriculum and Requirements
The purpose of this program is to prepare students to become health information professionals in the technical aspect of health care. The program will provide instruction in the acquisition, analysis and security of a patients' medical and health information. The program also prepares students to take the national certification exam to become a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) through the American Health Information Management Association. Upon successful completion of this program, an individual may transfer to Pasco-Hernando State College's Bachelor of Applied Science degree program.
Program Code: APP-HIT
- HSC 2531 - Medical Terminology 3 cr.
- BSC 1020 - Human Biology 3 cr.
- ENC 1101 - English Composition I 3 cr.
- CGS 1100 - Microcomputer Applications 3 cr.
These 12 hours of prerequisites must be successfully completed before application to the program and are included in the 21 hours of General Education requirements and Support Courses.
- HIM 1102 - Introduction to Healthcare Informatics 2 cr.
- HIM 1012 - Legal Aspects of Health Information Technology 2 cr.
- HIM 1222 - Basic lCD Coding 3 cr.
- HIM 1442 - Pharmacology for Health Information Technology 2 cr.
- HIM 1433 - Pathophysiology for Health Information Technology 2 cr.
- HIM 1110 - Healthcare Delivery Systems 2 cr.
- HIM 1000 - Introduction to Health Information Management 3 cr.
- HIM 1005 - Project Management for Health Information Technology 2 cr.
- HIM 1722 - ICD─CM Coding 3 cr.
- HIM 2652 - Electronic Health Records 2 cr.
- HIM 1800 - Health Information Technology Practicum I 2 cr.
- HIM 2506 - Quality Assessment 2 cr.
- Any Area II course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3 cr.
- Any Area IV course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3 cr.
- HIM 2253 - Basic CPT Coding 3 cr.
- HIM 2723 - ICD─PCS Coding 3 cr.
- HIM 2214 - Healthcare Statistics 2 cr.
- HIM 2815 - Health Information Technology Practicum II 2 cr.
- Any Area III college level math course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3 cr.
- HIM 2820 - Healthcare Information Technology Practicum III 4 cr.
- HIM 2822 - Health Information Technology Capstone Seminar 3 cr.
- HIM 2273 - Billing and Reimbursement Methods 3 cr.
- HIM 2212 - Health Records Data Analysis and Workflow Management 2 cr.
CPR certification, PHSC course NCH 0050— Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers, American Heart Association, is a requirement for this program.