Curriculum and Requirements
The purpose of this program is to prepare students for employment as information technology security professionals, or to provide supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed in occupations such as computer specialist, network security specialist, e-commerce website support specialist, networking specialist, and network technician. This program prepares students to work in Internet, intranet, extranet and enterprise environments; installing, configuring, designing, and managing secure data and e-commerce resources. Program completers will receive training that will prepare them to take the Network+ and Security+ certification examinations. These exams are not offered on campus.
Program Code: AS-ITS
The following program core of 18 hours applies to all IT AS degree programs:
- CET 1179 - Microcomputer Repair Essentials 3 cr.
- CGS 1000 - Computer Concepts 3 cr.
- CGS 2304 - Managing Information Technology 3 cr.
- CNT 1000 - Introduction to Networking 3 cr.
- CTS 1110 - Microcomputer Software Essentials 3 cr.
- COP 1000 - Introduction to Software Development 3 cr.
The following 27 hours apply specifically to the Information Technology Security AS degree:
- CAP 2134 - Database Security 3 cr.
- CET 2880 - Introduction to Computer Forensics 3 cr.
- CGS 2108 - Advanced Microcomputer Applications 3 cr.
- CNT 1401 - Principles of Information, Security and Assurance 3 cr.
- CNT 2510 - Wireless LANs and Security 3 cr.
- COP 1332 - Visual Basic .NET Programming 3 cr.
- COP 2071 - Access Programming and SQL 3 cr.
- CTS 2123 - Network Security and Intrusion Detection 3 cr.
- CIS 2941 - Information Technology Internship 3 cr.
- CTS 1544 - Virtualization Essentials 3 cr.
The following 18 hours meet the General Education Requirements:
- CGS 1100 - Microcomputer Applications 3 cr.
- ENC 1101 - English Composition I 3 cr.
- Any Elective Area II course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3cr.
- Any Area III Mathematics course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3cr. (Note: Students wishing to transfer to a bachelor program should take MAC 1105.)
- Any Area III Natural Science course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3cr.
- Any Elective Area IV course listed in the Associate in Science Degree Program Requirements 3cr.
Total Hours: 63
Three hours of credit will be granted toward an Associate in Science degree in Information Technology Security for the successful completion with a "C" average or better in Web Internet Services at the Marchman Technical Center. Credit will be awarded for Computer Concepts (CGS 1000).
Students must receive a high school diploma and successfully complete 15 hours of college-level credit in classroom instruction at PHSC before credit will be given. To be awarded credit, a student must send a copy of a completed Request for Credit for Articulated Programs from Marchman Technical Center (Form SAR-50) to the director of admissions and student records after the student has completed 15 hours. This form is available in the Student Development office on each campus.