Curriculum and Requirements
The purpose of this program is to prepare students for employment as medical secretaries in medical facilities and as examining room assistants in physicians’ offices. This program includes instruction in both general office and medical record skills and includes a clinical component.
Program Code: PSVC-MS
The following courses must be taken in the order shown:
- HSC 0003 - Introduction to Health Occupations 3 tech. cr.
- HSC 0530 - Medical Language 3 tech. cr.
- HIM 0450 - Fundamentals of Body Structures and Functions 2 tech. cr.
- CTS 0050 - Introduction to Microcomputer Applications 3 tech. cr.
- HIM 0434 - Fundamentals of Disease Processes 2 tech. cr.
- HIM 0440 - Pharmacology for Health Professionals 2 tech. cr.
- HCP 0741L - Practical Aspects of Phlebotomy 2 tech. cr.
- HIM 0061 - Medical Record Transcription I 5 tech. cr.
- CVT 0507 - Basic Arrhythmias 2 tech. cr.
- MEA 0200 - Examining Room Procedures 3 tech. cr.
- OTA 0609A - Medical Office Procedures 3 tech. cr.
- SLS 0341 - Essentials of Health Career Success 2 tech. cr.
- OTA 0627 - Medical Secretary Clinical 3 tech. cr.
Total Technical Credits: 35
Special Program Requirements:
A completed Physical Examination Report (SAR-40-A) is required for this course.
An approved 4-hour AIDS seminar, PHSC course NCH 0001, is a program requirement.
CPR certification, PHSC course NCH 0050, American Heart Association, "Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers", is a requirement of this program.
A grade of "Pass" in OTA 0627 and a grade of "C" or higher must be earned in each program course in order to receive a Technical Credit Certificate.
OTA 0627 Medical Secretary Clinical is the final course in the program and may only be taken after all other program courses have been successfully completed.
This program requires submission of valid TABE test scores.