Curriculum and Requirements
Please be advised that no new students are being admitted into this program.
The purpose of this program is to prepare students for entry-level employment as coders, medical record coders, coding technicians, coding clerks or coder specialists. The program includes instruction in medical terminology, coding systems, fundamentals of disease, pharmacology, health care delivery systems, basics of medical records services, ethical and legal responsibilities and employability skills.
Program Code: ATD-COD
The following courses must be taken in the order shown:
- HIM 0009 - Introduction to Health Information Technology 3 tech. cr. (90 clock hours)
- HSC 0530 - Medical Language 3 tech. cr. (90 clock hours)
- OTA 0101 - Keyboarding I 2 tech. cr. (60 clock hours)
- HIM 0450 - Fundamentals of Body Structures and Functions 2 tech. cr. (60 clock hours)
- CTS 0050 - Introduction to Microcomputer Applications 3 tech. cr. (90 clock hours)
- HIM 0280 - Coding for Medical Records I 4.5 tech. cr. (135 clock hours)
- HIM 0434 - Fundamentals of Disease Processes 2 tech. cr. (60 clock hours)
- HIM 0440 - Pharmacology for Health Professionals 2 tech. cr. (60 clock hours)
- SLS 0341 - Essentials of Health Career Success 2 tech. cr. (60 clock hours)
- OTA 0609A - Medical Office Procedures 3 tech. cr. (90 clock hours)
- HIM 0281 - Coding for Medical Records II 4.83 tech. cr. (145 clock hours)
- HIM 0274 - Health Insurance Coding and Reimbursement 2 tech. cr. (60 clock hours)
Total Technical Credits: 33.33 (1,000 clock hours)
Special Program Requirements:
An approved 4-hour AIDS seminar, PHSC course NCH 0001, is a program requirement.
CPR certification, PHSC course NCH 0050, American Heart Association, "Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers", is a requirement of this program.
A grade of "C" or higher must be earned in each program course to receive an Applied Technology Diploma.
HIM 0281 and HIM 0274 are the final courses in the program and may only be taken after all other program courses have been successfully completed.
This program requires submission of valid TABE scores.