Curriculum and Requirements
Please be advised that no new students are being admitted into this program.
The purpose of this program is to prepare students for employment as medical record transcriptionists in hospitals, for private physicians and as independent contractors. The program includes instruction in advanced keyboarding skills, medical terminology, health care delivery systems, basics of medical records services, legal and ethical responsibilities and employability and professional skills.
Program Code: ATD-MRT
The following courses must be taken in the order shown:
- HIM 0009 - Introduction to Health Information Technology 3 tech. cr.
- HSC 0530 - Medical Language 3 tech. cr.
- OTA 0101 - Keyboarding I 2 tech. cr.
- HIM 0450 - Fundamentals of Body Structures and Functions 2 tech. cr.
- CTS 0050 - Introduction to Microcomputer Applications 3 tech. cr.
- HIM 0061 - Medical Record Transcription I 5 tech. cr.
- HIM 0434 - Fundamentals of Disease Processes 2 tech. cr.
- HIM 0440 - Pharmacology for Health Professionals 2 tech. cr.
- OTA 0611 - Keyboarding II 2 tech. cr.
- SLS 0341 - Essentials of Health Career Success 2 tech. cr.
- HIM 0062 - Medical Record Transcription II 5 tech. cr.
- OTA 0609A - Medical Office Procedures 3 tech. cr.
- HIM 0063 - Medical Record Transcription III 6 tech. cr.
Total Technical Credits: 40
Special Program Requirements:
An approved 4-hour AIDS seminar, PHSC course NCH 0001, is a program requirement.
CPR certification, PHSC course NCH 0050, American Heart Association, "Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers", is a requirement of this program.
A grade of "C" or higher must be earned in each program course in order to receive an Applied Technology Diploma.
HIM 0063 is the final course in the program and may only be taken after all other program courses have been successfully completed.
This program requires submission of valid TABE scores.