Curriculum and Requirements
The purpose of this program is to prepare individuals to provide nursing care to clients in hospitals and other comparable health agencies as practical nurses, and is approved by the Florida State Board of Nursing. Upon satisfactory completion of the prescribed course work, graduates are eligible to apply to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses in accordance with regulations set forth in the Nurse Practice Act, Chapter 464.008 and 464.108. Graduates also are eligible to apply for admission to the Associate Degree in Nursing program at the ADN-LPN entry point.
Program Code: APP-PN
- PRN 0000 - Fundamentals of Nursing/PN 3 tech. cr.
- PRN 0000L - Fundamentals of Nursing Clinical/PN 5 tech. cr.
- PRN 0080 - Body Structure and Function 1.5 tech. cr.
- PRN 0030 - Medication Administration/Pharmacology 2 tech. cr.
- PRN 0002 - Fundamentals of Nursing II/PN 2 tech. cr.
- PRN 0002L - Fundamentals of Nursing II Clinical/PN 5 tech. cr.
- PRN 0204 - Medical Surgical Nursing I 3 tech cr.
- PRN 0204L - Medical Surgical Nursing I Clinical 5.5 tech. cr.
- PRN 0205 - Medical Surgical Nursing II 2.5 tech cr.
- PRN 0205L - Medical Surgical Nursing II Clinical 5.5 tech. cr.
- PRN 0500 - Gerontological Nursing 2 tech. cr.
- PRN 0500L - Gerontological Nursing Clinical 3 tech. cr.
- PRN 0120 - Maternal-Child Nursing 2.5 tech. cr.
- PRN 0120L - Maternal-Child Nursing Clinical 2.5 tech. cr.
Computer literacy is required for students enrolled in this program. Students lacking computer skills must take a computer course. Computer-assisted instructional materials may be used in this program.
Total Technical Credits: 45
Special Program Requirements
A grade of "C" or higher in each course must be earned for successful completion of the program.
Courses may be repeated only with the recommendation of nursing faculty, associate dean of nursing, dean of health occupations and approval of the vice president of instruction/provost, West Campus, and if space is available. To receive a certificate, students must obtain satisfactory scores on the TABE test.
CPR certification, PHSC course NCH 0050, American Heart Association, "Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers", is a requirement of this program.