Curriculum and Requirements
This is a limited access program. Refer to the General Admission Requirements for Limited Access/Selected Admissions Health Programs section of this Catalog and Student Handbook for admission requirements.
The purpose of this program is to prepare individuals to provide nursing care to clients in hospitals and other comparable health agencies as practical nurses, and is approved by the Florida State Board of Nursing. Upon satisfactory completion of the prescribed course work, graduates are eligible to apply to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses in accordance with regulations set forth in the Nurse Practice Act, Chapter 464.008 and 464.108. Graduates also are eligible to apply for admission to the Associate Degree in Nursing program at the ADN-LPN entry point.
Program Code: APP-PN
- PRN 0000 - Fundamentals of Nursing/PN 3 tech. cr. (90 clock hours)
- PRN 0000L - Fundamentals of Nursing Clinical/PN 5 tech. cr. (150 clock hours)
- PRN 0080 - Body Structure and Function 1.5 tech. cr. (45 clock hours)
- PRN 0030 - Medication Administration/Pharmacology 2 tech. cr. (60 clock hours)
- PRN 0002 - Fundamentals of Nursing II/PN 2 tech. cr. (60 clock hours)
- PRN 0002L - Fundamentals of Nursing II Clinical/PN 5 tech. cr. (150 clock hours)
- PRN 0204 - Medical Surgical Nursing I 3 tech cr. (90 clock hours)
- PRN 0204L - Medical Surgical Nursing I Clinical 5.5 tech. cr. (165 clock hours)
- PRN 0205 - Medical Surgical Nursing II 2.5 tech cr. (75 clock hours)
- PRN 0205L - Medical Surgical Nursing II Clinical 5.5 tech. cr. (165 clock hours)
- PRN 0500 - Gerontological Nursing 2 tech. cr. (60 clock hours)
- PRN 0500L - Gerontological Nursing Clinical 3 tech. cr. (90 clock hours)
- PRN 0120 - Maternal-Child Nursing 2.5 tech. cr. (75 clock hours)
- PRN 0120L - Maternal-Child Nursing Clinical 2.5 tech. cr. (75 clock hours)
Computer literacy is required for students enrolled in this program. Students lacking computer skills must take a computer course. Computer-assisted instructional materials may be used in this program.
Total Technical Credits: 45 (1,350 clock hours)
Special Program Requirements
A grade of "C" or higher in each course must be earned for successful completion of the program.
Courses may be repeated only with the recommendation of nursing faculty, associate dean of nursing, dean of health occupations and approval of the vice president of instruction/provost, West Campus, and if space is available. To receive a certificate, students must obtain satisfactory scores on the TABE test.
CPR certification, PHSC course NCH 0050, American Heart Association, "Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers", is a requirement of this program.