According to the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, employment of firefighters is expected to grow by about 11 percent between 2015 and 2023.
Job Potential Earnings
According to the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, firefighters in Pasco and Hernando counties typically earn entry level salaries ranging from $35,589 with the average salary being $47,986.
To be considered for admission to this program, students must:
- Attend a mandatory orientation. Visit the PHSC event calendar for upcoming orientation dates.
- Have a clean criminal background check (no felonies) and clean driving record.
- Hold a Florida State, or National Registry, Certification as an EMT.
- Hold a current CPR certification from the American Heart Association or American Red Cross. Higher levels of certification, such as Advanced Cardiac Life Support will also be accepted, but are not required.
- Provide documentation of complete occupational physical assessment, with medical clearance to participate.
- Pass the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE).